SEO Friendly Images 2020 - Alt Attribute Optimization Tips
SEO Friendly Images
Process of making images SEO
friendly called where we reduce
file size of images as much as
possible without sacrificing
quality of image files.
SEO Friendly images increase user experience and decrease the load time of your web page. Website with a number of visuals plays an important role to attract organic traffic as users love to explore images rather than context in order to get the explanation about something. Attractive visuals or images act as a backdoor or doorbell for any image oriented websites such as SmugMug, Google Photos, Flickr Pro, Pexels etc.
Types of Image File - There are mainly 10 Image file type such as:
Image is a visual representation of data or information used by marketing
experts to promote their products or services helping people to learn and
understand anything quickly and clearly.
- JPG or JPEG – Joint Photographic Experts Group
- PNG – Portable Network Graphics
- GIF – Graphics interchange Format
- TIFF – Tagged Image File
- PSD – Photoshop Documents
- PDF – Portable Document Format
- EPS – Encapsulated Postscript
- INDD – Adobe Indesign Documents
- AI – Adobe Illustrator Document
- RAW – Raw Image Format
Most commonly used file format are: JPEG, GIF, PNG
JPEG or jpg file type allowed descent quality at a low file size.
GIF used for simplistic images such as icons, decorative images etc. It has lower quality than JPEG images. Gif also supports animation.
PNG supports many more colors than GIF. Unlike jpg, it doesn’t degrade over time with re-saves. It falls in two categories –
- PNG-8 and PNG-24.
- PNG-24 image is three times larger in file size than the PNG-8.
- PNG can be a good alternative to JPEG and GIF.
- PNG file size is much larger than jpeg.
Image Optimization- Tips to make SEO Friendly Images
Process of making images SEO friendly called image optimization where we reduce file size of images as much as possible without sacrificing quality of image files.
- Use a simple, short, descriptive image file name in plain language
- Use keywords in your image title, alt tag and description and file name
- Optimize alt attribute of images.
- Avoid having decorative images.
- Use proper image dimension and product angles.
- Use the right file type and file format.
- Reduce the file size of images without losing quality of it.
- Optimize your thumbnails.
- Use image sitemap.
- Having larger size images on web pages may increase the web page load time that’s why it is recommended to reduce the image file size and dimension without compromising quality.
- If possible try to use zoomable images.
- recommended image file size should be 70kb or below that can be difficult at times for larger images.
- The most common SEO friendly file type of images are JPEG or jpg, PNG, and GIF.
- Search Engines crawl both the image file name and text of the webpage.
Image Alt Attribute optimization
Alt attribute is an HTML image tag attribute used to specify an alternative text for an image. These alt attributes play a vital role when a browser can’t properly render them, then
Importance of image Alt Attribute in SEO Friendly Images
- when a browser fails to render images then alt attribute comes in actions resulting in improved user experience as showing errors while loading a web page can decrease the quality and user experience.
- Content of the alt attribute provides information about the picture when the user is viewing your site using assistive technology such as a screen reader.
- Alt attributes of images are viewed and crawled by crawlers in order to find the information about the image.
- If you are using an image as a link then alt attribute text for that image will be treated as an anchor text for link.
- The best way to see your visuals in Google images and web search is alt attributes.
Optimization of Alt Attribute of image:
- Add keyword in your alt attribute.
- Avoid keyword stuffing.
- Sanitize the alt attribute and make sure there shouldn’t be any mistakes.
- It is recommended to not use alt attributes for decorative images because search engines may penalize for over optimization.
- Mention your model number or serial number in alt attribute if any you have